In order to compare bouncing and sticking properties of various types of balls, consider the following graph, excerpted from Bounce, Roll, & Fly: The Science of Balls, Volume 8 from Schottenbauer Publishing.
- What is the initial position of each ball? Write the coordinates in terms of (x, y) pairs.
- Which ball is initially higher?
- Which ball falls faster? Why is this the case?
- What is the time difference between points of contact with the wood?
- Do both balls bounce? Cite data from the graph to answer the question. What is the height of bounce?