Consider the following graph, excerpted and edited from Volume 7 of Bounce, Roll, & Fly: The Science of Balls from Schottenbauer Publishing.
- How many times does the football spin?
- What two points are traced in the graph?
- What are the maximum and minimum values of each point as they rotate?
- Which mathematical function describes the motion: (a) Straight Line, (b) Parabola, (c) Hyperbola, (d) Sine Wave, (d) Tangent?
- Which physics concept(s) are demonstrated in the graph: (a) Force, (b) Strong Force, (c) Gravity, (d) Spin, (e) Rotational Motion?
- Would a rugby ball rotate in a similar manner? Why or why not?
- If a football wobbled from side to side, would the graph appear similar to the graph above? Why or why not?